Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAmOpens All- New Drop Tower Virtual Reality Ride

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby CoasterDave316 on April 30th, 2017, 7:28 am
Six Flags Great America Opens
All- New Drop Tower Virtual Reality Ride in Partnership with Samsung

New Drop of Doom VR Experience Crawling with Spiders

GURNEE, IL. - April 28, 2017 -Six Flags Great America in partnership with Samsung Electronics America, Inc., the "Official Technology Partner of Six Flags," launches an all-new virtual reality experience, Drop of Doom VR. This VR attraction is a thrilling, immersive encounter with giant, mutant spiders and is an incredible headliner to the parks' opening weekend April 29 and 30.

"Innovation is in our DNA at Six Flags and adding this type of cutting edge technology to a Drop Tower attraction is a taste of the future for thrill seekers everywhere." said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America park president.

Riders, using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, will become the pilots of a futuristic gunship under attack by mutant spiders. This intense, interactive adventure features:

• A high speed virtual vertical ascent up 100 stories, while teetering off the edge of a helicopter;
  • A 360-degree rotating view high above massive city skyscrapers that are under siege by enormous spiders;
  • A high-intensity gun battle against a giant arachnid, spewing baby spiders that virtually crawl all over the rider's body;
  • A thrilling 100-story fiery plunge straight down between towering skyscrapers; and
  • The final showdown with a spider the size of a van, teeth-gnashing and in full attack mode.

The Drop of Doom VR attraction is free with park admission and available April 29 through Memorial Day. Season Passes and All Season Dining Passes are available online now at sixflags.com.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 1st, 2017, 2:42 pm
I have a theory about all the virtual rides they're doing at each park:
I believe it's a way to revive interest in an old ride or a ride with low ridership: Demon and Giant Drop, Shock Wave at SFOT. I am wondering if SF is trying to drum up interest in these rides to showcase them for a sale to a smaller chain?? I didn't read this anywhere, but came up with this theory on my own.

What does everyone else think as the "purpose" for all the VR stuff?
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on May 1st, 2017, 3:59 pm
I am pretty sure that is the reason with things like Demon and Ninja, but why in the world would they put it on Superman?
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 11th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Whiz - not sure about Superman. Which Superman is it going on? I just hope they keep that VR off Raging Bull, X-Flight, Goliath, Batman, Viper, etc.
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 11th, 2017, 12:30 pm
^At Six Flags New England and Fiesta Texas, they put VR on their two Superman attractions last year- an Intamin Hyper and a B&M floorless respectively. Not sure about Fiesta Texas, but I know New England removed their VR this year

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Tardis1972 on May 12th, 2017, 10:28 am
^ I'm pretty sure SFNE still has VR only its on Mind Eraser.
Tardis1972

Return to Headline News